How to configure RAW printing mode in macOS and OSX
Learn how to setup a printer for RAW printing mode in macOS abd OSX. (Instructions for Linux/Raspbery Pi and Windows are also available)
What's Raw Printing?
Raw Printing (a.k.a. "Raw Data Printing", "DOS-Mode Printing", "Line-Mode Printing") is the process of sending a stream of bytes (sometimes simple ASCII characters) directly to the target printer hardware. Those bytes are expressed by following the syntax and rules of the Command Language (a.k.a. Programming Language) supported by the target printer. Some Raw Printing Languages are composed of human-readable ASCII characters (like Zebra ZPL, EPL, etc) while others combine them with non-printable characters like is the case of the famous ESC/P, Postscript and PCL languages.
Follow up these steps:
- Open a Terminal window and type: sudo cupsctl WebInterface=yes
- Open Safari or any other web browser and navigate to http://localhost:631
- Click on the Administration tab and then click Add Printer. You might be required to enter a username and password. If this results in a "forbidden" error, you may need to be logged in as an administrator.
- Depending on the printer communication...
- For IP/Ethernet Network Printers
- Check AppSocket/HP JetDirect option and click Continue
- Enter the IP address and port (if required) e.g. socket://192.168.254.254:9100
- For USB Printers
- Set Starting Banner and Ending Banner to "none" and click Set Default Options
- If you want the printer appears in System Preferences > Print & Scan / Printers & Scanners dialog, then Add a Printer Class by following these steps:
That's it! The new printer setting should allow you to send RAW Printer Commands from our products.